Saturday, May 26, 2012

Week of May20 - 26

What a week such highs and a low.  My camera broke and I haven't been able to download any of my pictures.  I am still in the gardens, this time 2 days Monday and Tuesday I will be working with a good friend Sister Fowers just in the Women's garden.  It is completely replanted with summer plant.  Some I have never seen and it is amazing when you know what to plant and where how wonderful is all turns out right.  I am glad the main horticulturist just lays out the plants them a crew of about 15 go to work.  In 2 days we probably planted over a thousand  plants.  We had 1 rain storm and what a difference in made in the plants they must have grown 6 inches overnight.  No rain now for 6 days and it is getting humid. 

You all know how I love to work at weddings.  Well I had a chance today.  One of my new friend Gloria Schkrohowsky's daughter was married in the Nauvoo temple.  I told her I would be glad to help (does that sound familiar) well she put me in charge.  I was in my glory.  They had all of the decorations and it turned out beautiful, again no camera - no pictures.  They had a family party on Friday and I told her I make a pretty good potato salad.  When she tasted it she said it was the best she has ever had.  No bragging here, but that is one thing my mother did teach me. 

I got my hair cut really short due to the weather and humidity.  I know look like a boy.  I am going to go buy a boys pioneer cap as I can't find a hat to fit my little pin head.  Then for sure I will look like a boy. 

Friday night got a call from my brother and he told me our cousin had suddenly died.  She just turned 60 and was not in good health.  I had talked to her on Sunday, and did not like to sound in her voice.  I had another cousin check on her and she was going to visit her on Tuesday but that never happened.  Not sure if it was her heart or what.  Will have to wait for the autopsy report.  Wished I could be there to help her children deal with this tragedy.  I will miss her a lot.

Bad to the good news.  Had a great meeting on Wednesday with George Durand (I had never heard of him but he was a author and professor at BYU), and Susan Easton Black.  She took is a professor at BYU and has done extensive research here in Nauvoo.  She was a great speaker and had shared so much history about Nauvoo with all of us.  She stayed for a week and even came to our Rendezvous performance and our Sunset by the Mississippi practice.  She told us we were the best cast.  She probably tells that to everyone but we really are.  We had our final dress rehearsal last night for Sunset and it was the 1st time Jonny and I did our polka without make a major mistake.  We just made little mistakes, but we are in the back row so no one knows except us.  Jonny has been studying (and I mean really studying) for his new speaking part in Rendezvous. He does it on stage on Monday, please pray for him.  He has never been good at memorizing, and finally after 2 weeks of practicing this part I think he has it.  Just have to wait and see.  I too have a small speaking part (3 lines) and was told on Thursday I was to be on  that evening.  I had looked it over a couple of times but had to go on without any warning.  The first show you could tell I was nervous, but the 2nd show I aced it.  Look out Hollywood here we come!!!  NO WAY!!

We have young performing missionaries (students age 18-23?) who audition for this production and I am amazed at the talent here.  They work all day performing different vinyettes all around town and then do a very strenuous routine in Sunset with us.  Oh to be young again!  Well it we are still enjoying our time here and love our mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment